Yesterday was a perfect day! It was in the 80’s, the kids got the pool cleaned out, and we sold our last three goats.
Just look those cute little overexposed faces!
If you’ve ever been around baby goats you know they’re seriously cuter than puppies. I’ll miss their cute little mugs and playfulness but soon they’ll be big and smelly so I’m so thankful they’re gone. Huge blessing!
I had a hankerin’ for a snack and since I can no longer indulge in nuts (grrr!) I decided to experiment with mug cake.
I used to make it quite a bit with “real” ingredients and have tried several paleo, low carb, etcetera type recipes and they have always been dry and nasty. I experimented with ingredients and made several cakes and came up with a winner that tastes amazing. Really.
As the kids were in and out of the house yesterday I’d stop them to try some cake and the one I’m sharing with you was everyone’s favorite.
The key is to not overcook it which is so easy to do in the microwave. (I know, microwaves are so bad!) Cook it just long enough so that only the outer cake is set and the center is still jiggly and glossy as you can see in the photo below.
Everyone kept referring to them as “mud” cake which might be more suiting anyway since I baked them in bowls instead of mugs. I think making it in a mug might change the cooking time but I haven’t tried it to see.
This recipe was so rich and gooey and super satisfying. If you have a couple of spare minutes you can indulge in this sweet cake and not even feel bad about it!
Mug Bowl Cake:
3 T unsweetened applesauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 T cocoa powder
1 T xylitol
1/4 tsp stevia concentrate powder, or sweeten to taste
2 T coconut flour
Combine all ingredients in order in a small microwave safe bowl and mix well. Microwave on high for 35 to 40 seconds** or until the outer portion around the cake is set and the center is still jiggly and glossy.
Serves 1 or 2 people and is extra amazing with a tablespoon of heavy cream poured over the top.
*Microwaves vary a lot so keep an eye on it to keep from overcooking and thus drying it out…yuck!